Why should you get involved with the Sac-Joaquin Section?
Let’s break it down by the numbers:
- 2nd largest Section in California
- 26 Leagues
- 197 Member Schools
- Reaching more than 225,000 students
- Directly influencing 130,000 student-athletes and their families
- Awarded more than $330,000 in scholarships to student-athletes
- Cover more than 14,500 square miles of California
Why is it important to get involved with high school sports and student-athletes? If the overall well-being of our youth is a directive of your organization, consider this:
- Students of all ages who participate in sports have been found to cope better with competition in other areas of their life (Yan & McCullagh, 2004).
- A 2007 study shows that participating in high school team sports increased a young woman’s chances of graduating from college by 41%.
- It is much less likely for a teenager who is involved in sports to become overweight or be inactive in other areas of his/her life.
- Having a strong social network helps teens to become more involved in their academic careers as well as lead to a much lower likelihood of dropouts coming from students who participate in sports.
- Children who are actively involved in a sport are more likely to describe themselves as being in good physical health than students who do not participate in sports (Piko & Keresztes, 2006).
- The interaction a child has with her or her coach helps to improve self-esteem as well as lower the chance of depression (Harrison & Naraya, 2003).
LIVE WEB STREAMING OF SHOWCASE GAMES IN PARTNERSHIP WITH PLAYON! SPORTS.
“The true ability to live-stream web video is just a couple years old. But it’s a viable platform. Within the next 10 years – and that is a legitimate timeline, in my opinion – every single high school sporting event will be produced and distributed in some capacity. It’s an inevitability.”
–David Rudolph, CEO of PlayOn! Sports
Read our PlayOn! Sports Press Release here… (link to News & Media/Press Release page)
For more information about sponsoring any of the Sac-Joaquin Section awards or events, please contact Mike Garrison, SJS Commissioner, at (209) 334-5900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.