Why should you get involved with the Sac-Joaquin Section?
Let’s break it down by the numbers:
- 2nd largest Section in California
- 26 Leagues
- 197 Member Schools
- Reaching more than 225,000 students
- Directly influencing 130,000 student-athletes and their families
- Awarded more than $330,000 in scholarships to student-athletes
- Cover more than 14,500 square miles of California
Why is it important to get involved with high school sports and student-athletes? If the overall well-being of our youth is a directive of your organization, consider this:
- Students of all ages who participate in sports have been found to cope better with competition in other areas of their life (Yan & McCullagh, 2004).
- A 2007 study shows that participating in high school team sports increased a young woman’s chances of graduating from college by 41%.
- It is much less likely for a teenager who is involved in sports to become overweight or be inactive in other areas of his/her life.
- Having a strong social network helps teens to become more involved in their academic careers as well as lead to a much lower likelihood of dropouts coming from students who participate in sports.
- Children who are actively involved in a sport are more likely to describe themselves as being in good physical health than students who do not participate in sports (Piko & Keresztes, 2006).
- The interaction a child has with her or her coach helps to improve self-esteem as well as lower the chance of depression (Harrison & Naraya, 2003).
For more information about sponsoring any of the Sac-Joaquin Section awards or events, please contact Mike Garrison, SJS Commissioner, at (209) 334-5900 or email@example.com.